Newman Follow the Dream is an initiative of BHP, The Department of Education and The Graham (Polly) Farmer Foundation. It is designed to assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to succeed in their education so they may achieve the Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) and compete effectively for employment, apprenticeships and traineeships with local industry or progress to tertiary study.
The program caters for students from Year 7 to Year 12 and offers the following support:
- The use of an Enrichment Centre where students can complete their homework and increase their skills with the assistance of a range of resources
- Provision of tutors to support students
- Access to role models and extra-curricular workshops
- The establishment of links between the community and schools
- Career guidance and pathway mapping
- Excursions and camps
Follow the Dream supports Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who aspire to successfully complete their secondary schooling, show aptitude for learning, and demonstrate a positive approach towards education. Along with the academic focus, students also engage in a range of extra-curricular activities that broaden their horizons, build resilience, develop confidence and promote cultural pride.
Follow the Dream Coordinator: Debbie Douglass
20 Gregory Avenue, Newman
Link to Graham ‘Polly’ Farmer official Website: